Disclosure: The Review Wire may have been provided with product for this review. All views and opinions with regard to the products or the company are our own and were not influenced by the company. Some posts may contain affiliate links, including Amazon. Please see my disclosure policy for more details.
I loved the Wizard of Oz growing up. I remember watching it on TV when I was a little girl. I vividly remember laying down in front of the TV with a bowl of popcorn watching it! And that is quite a feat considering I can barely remember what I have for dinner last week! I was surprised that my nine year old son wanted to watch this with me when I received it, I’m not complaining though, a little quality time! The movies starts of in black and white then changes to color. Oz the Great and Powerful is the story before the story, Wizard of Oz. In Oz the Great and Powerful you learn how the Scarecrows came about and how the sisters turned to witches plus a lot of other little tidbits. Our favorite though was the flying monkey, he is a funny little monkey!
The movie is about Oscar Diggs (James Franco), a small-time circus magician with dubious ethics, is hurled away from dusty Kansas to the vibrant Land of Oz, he thinks he’s hit the jackpot. Fame and fortune are his for the taking. That is until he meets three witches: Theodora (Mila Kunis), Evanora (Rachel Weisz) and Glinda (Michelle Williams), who are not convinced he is the great wizard everyone’s been expecting. Reluctantly drawn into the epic problems facing the Land of Oz and its inhabitants, Oscar must find out who is good and who is evil before it is too late. Putting his magical arts to use through illusion, ingenuity and even a bit of wizardry, Oscar transforms himself not only into a great wizard but into a better man as well.
OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL is now available on Blu-ray Combo Pack! This DVD boasts a sensational variety of never-before-seen bonus materials including:
- *The Magic of “Oz The Great and Powerful” (Second Screen Experience) – An immersive Second Screen experience that details all things Oz. From an interactive map full of secrets and surprises, to an inside look at the spectacular world of Oz. All fans need to do is download the special “The Magic of Oz The Great and Powerful: Second Screen” App (see below for download) which provides fans with infinite opportunities to remain connected to their favorite film, its cast of characters and to dive deeper into the magical world of Oz. This App provides exclusive access to exclusive content including:
- – The Enchanting Characters and Creatures of Oz – From Munchkins and Tinkers to good witches, bad witches, and flying baboons, this piece follows each character and creature of the Land of Oz from inspiration to final outcome. – The Sounds of Magical Oz – What adds fragility to the sounds of China Girl’s footsteps; ferocity to the tornado; or weight to the flutter of Finley’s flapping wings?
- – Sleight of Hand: Zach Braff Puppet Theater – Actor, and voice of Finley, Zach Braff introduces viewers to the Finley mockup.
- – Mariah Carey Music Video
- *My Journey in Oz by James Franco – A personal story produced and directed by James Franco.
- *Mr. Elfman’s Musical Concoctions – An interview with composer Danny Elfman unveils his inspiration in scoring “Oz The Great And Powerful.”
- *China Girl and the Suspension of Disbelief – This feature uncloaks the several forms of movie magic employed to bring China Girl to life, from the initial artwork and character design, to the on-set puppeteering during filmmaking, and finally, through each stage of the visual-effects process; and includes an interview with Joey King, the voice of China Girl.
- *Before Your Very Eyes: From Kansas to Oz – Production designer Robert Stromberg takes viewers through the set design of the Land of Oz, from sketching his original ideas on a napkin, through to the final set pieces and the accompanying visual effects.
- *Mila’s Metamorphosis – Lead makeup artist Howard Berger expands on one of the oldest, most tried-and-true forms of movie magic: makeup design and effects.
- *Walt Disney and the Road to Oz – It is well known that Walt Disney had a fascination with the Land of Oz since he was a child. See how that fascination grew into inspiration as he began planning for his own adaptation of the stories in the classic Baum books.
Download Oz Crafts & Games
Download Oz Activity Games
Watch the Wicked Witch Time Lapse
- “Like” on Facebook: facebook.com/OzTheGreatAndPowerful
- Follow on Twitter: twitter.com/DisneyOzMovie[email protected]
- Follow on Pintrest: pinterest.com/disneystudios/oz-the-great-and-powerful
- Website and Mobile Site: http://www.disney.com/TheWizard
I was provided with product for this review. All views and opinions with regard to Oz the Great and Powerful and Products or the company are my own and were not influenced by the company.